We hope you'll find answers to all your questions here, but if there's anything else you need to know contact our Company Secretariat who'll be happy to answer your query.
Share certificates/share ownership
1. Where is my Mitchells & Butlers plc share certificate?
If you believe your share certificate has gone missing, contact our Company Registrar on 0371 384 2065*.
* Lines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm (UK time), Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays in England & Wales).
2. Who is the Company's Registrar, and how do I contact them?
3. How do I transfer shares into another person's name?
You'll need a stock transfer form, which you can get from our Company Registrar. Return this form with your share certificate(s) to arrange the transfer of ownership. For further information and to get a stock transfer form, please contact the Company Registrar.
Please be aware that if the transfer is for a cash consideration of over £1,000, you'll need to send the stock transfer form to your local branch of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs for stamping. For further information, please contact your local HMRC office or visit the HMRC website.
4. Is this a good time to buy/sell Mitchells & Butlers shares?
We are not authorised to provide advice to investors on share dealing. You'll need to contact your stockbroker or independent financial adviser for this kind of advice.
5. Does Mitchells & Butlers offer a low-cost share dealing service?
Yes. A postal and electronic facility is available through the Company Registrar. It provides simple, low-cost methods of buying and selling Mitchells & Butlers ordinary shares.
03456 037 037
The Orr Mackintosh Foundation operates a charity share donation scheme for shareholders with small holdings of shares, whose value makes them uneconomic to sell.
+44 (0)20 7930 3737
6. Dividend payments
An interim dividend of 2.5p per share was paid on 4 July 2016. A final dividend of 5p per share will be paid, subject to shareholder approval, on 7 February 2017 to shareholders on the register on 2 December 2016.
7. Is it possible to arrange for dividends to be credited direct to my bank or building society account?
Yes, this facility makes the dividend payment process more efficient as cleared funds are available on the dividend payment date. Please click on the following link to a pdf version of the current bank mandate form.
Bank mandate form
Please note this document should be printed, completed, signed and sent off to the Equiniti address shown. Alternatively, please telephone our registrars, Equiniti, on 0371 384 2065.
8. How do I change the address for my shareholding?
Please click on the following link to a pdf version of the current change of address form.
Please note the document should be printed, completed, signed and sent off to the Equiniti address shown. Alternatively, please telephone our registrars, Equiniti, on 0371 384 2065.
Contacting Mitchells & Butlers
9. How do I contact the Mitchells & Butlers Company Secretariat?
Contact for Company Secretariat
Tel: 0121 498 6514
For queries relating to shares and share ownership please contact our registrars Equiniti on 0371 384 2065*. Please note that we do not keep shareholder records in our office.
* Lines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm (UK time), Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays in England & Wales).
10. How do I contact Mitchells & Butlers Corporate Communications?
If you have enquiries about our investor relations programme, media relations, marketing for the Group or other issues our company contacts page will point you in the right direction.
11. Does Mitchells & Butlers plc offer an Individual Savings Account ("ISA")?
The Company Registrar offers multiple company ISAs in which Mitchells & Butlers plc ordinary shares can be held. For further information visit the Shareview website or use the helpline: 0371 384 2244.
12. I have questions about tax on my shares and/or dividends - who should I direct them to?
The tax treatment of dividends changed on 6 April 2016. View our pdf for further details. For any other queries, please contact your stockbroker or independent financial adviser.
13. I bought shares in Six Continents several years ago, but cannot remember what price I paid for them. I now need this information to complete my tax return. Where can I get hold of the original share price?
The London Stock Exchange can provide this information.
+44 (0) 20 7797 1000 (and ask for the Historic Price Service. Please be aware that there will be a charge for this service.)
14. Capital Gains Tax. What is the base Cost for IHG and MAB shares?
HMRC has confirmed that your existing base cost for UK tax purposes in your Six Continents PLC shares held on 11 April 2003 may be apportioned on a pro-rata basis to the following amounts received as a result of the scheme of arrangement and separation:
- the total amount of cash received in respect of the 81p per Six Continents share cash payment;
- the cash payment received in respect of the sale of any fractional entitlement arising from the MAB share consolidation;
- the value of MAB shares received (being the number of MAB shares received multiplied by £2.21875); and
- the value of IHG shares received (being the number of IHG shares received multiplied by £3.71375).
- The allocation to the MAB shares and IHG shares received under the scheme of arrangement and separation is based on the share prices on the first day of dealing, being 15 April 2003. The relevant share prices for tax purposes are £3.71375 per IHG share and £2.21875 per MAB share.
Your existing base cost can therefore be allocated in the following percentages:
|Cash from 81p per Six Continents share||A|
|Cash from fractions||B|
For the purpose of calculating UK capital gains tax on a disposal of ordinary shares in Six Continents PLC held since 31 March 1982, the price of the Company's shares at that date was 230.5p per share. This price must be adjusted for subsequent events, in particular the 1-for-5 rights issue in 1991, the 1-for-1 capitalisation issue in 1992 and the capital reorganisation of 25 new ordinary shares for 28 existing ordinary shares and the issue of one B share for each existing ordinary share, in February 1998. For the purposes of computing capital gains tax in connection with the capital reorganisation in February 1998, the prices of the new ordinary shares and the B shares on the first day of dealing, 9 February 1998, were 930.75p and 92.5p, respectively.
Shareholder Voucher Guidance
15. How do I qualify for shareholder discount vouchers?
All shareholders of Mitchells & Butlers receive ONE shareholder discount voucher booklet, containing 12 vouchers in late December/early January of each year, irrespective of their shareholding size. To qualify for vouchers in December 2016, shareholders must be on the register by 2 December 2016. The record date for the receipt of shareholder discount vouchers changes every year in line with the production of the Annual Report, but is usually early December.
16. What do the shareholder vouchers entitle me to?
One voucher entitles the holder to 20% off the TOTAL bill when purchasing a main meal in any of our pubs and restaurants. The vouchers are valid every day, except Christmas day, and can be used for up to 10 people. You may use multiple vouchers for more than 10 people, for instance, if you have a table of 12, you will need to use two vouchers to receive the full discount. Vouchers can be used when purchasing offers or set menus. The vouchers cannot be used in conjunction with any other money-off voucher and are not valid at Innkeeper's Lodge.
17. I hold my shares via a nominee, how do I get a voucher booklet?
You should request your vouchers direct from your nominee holder rather than from the company.
18. What should I do if I haven't received or have lost my voucher booklet?
If you do not receive your booklet please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vouchers are distributed between late December and May of each year. We will close the distribution of vouchers on Friday 12 May 2017 and we will not be distributing vouchers again until December 2017.
19. Can I get the Annual Report direct rather than through my broker?
20. I have been receiving unsolicited calls/correspondence concerning investment matters, what should I do?
Shareholders are cautioned to be very wary of any unsolicited advice, offers to buy shares at a discount, sell your shares at a premium or offers of free company reports.
Mitchells & Butlers is aware that some of its shareholders have recently received unsolicited phone calls or letters from individuals or companies offering to buy or sell Mitchells & Butlers shares on very favourable terms. These communications imply a connection with Mitchells & Butlers and are often from overseas based "brokers" who are very persuasive and extremely persistent, with professional websites to support their activities.
Such communications are not endorsed by Mitchells & Butlers as the Company does not participate in such unsolicited communication programmes. The callers obtain your details from the Company's Share Register which is a publicly available document and therefore makes it relatively easy for someone to access your name and address. They then look to other sources of information, such as the various directory enquiry services to obtain your phone number.
It is the Company's experience that such "scams" are introduced by reference to one of the following:
- Offering to sell shares for either high risk or worthless investments;
- Advising that a takeover of Mitchells & Butlers is imminent;
- Offering to buy shares at a price which is much higher than the current share price. This often involves the payment of an "administration fee" or transferring shares to someone else.
If you do receive such an approach, you are encouraged to take the following steps:
- Obtain the full name of the person and organisation and make a record of any other information they give you e.g. telephone number, address, web address and report them to the FCA online at www.fca.org.uk or by calling them on 0800 111 6768*.
- If the caller persists, simply hang up.
- If you do receive telephone calls, emails or letters pertaining to your shares and you are unsure if they are legitimate, please contact our Secretariat team on 0121 498 6514.
You are advised to deal only with financial services firms that are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. Check the firm is properly authorised by the FCA before getting involved by visiting www.fca.org.uk/register. If you do deal with an unauthorised firm, you will not be eligible to receive payment under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme if anything goes wrong.
If you have received an unsolicited call about your shares and have completed and returned a "Non Disclosure Agreement" please call our Secretariat team on 0121 498 6514. You should also contact the Financial Conduct Authority via their website www.fca.org.uk or call them on 0800 111 6768*.
More detailed information on share fraud can be found on the FCA's website.
* Free from UK landlines.