As a responsible company, Mitchells & Butlers regard the welfare of livestock as a matter of utmost importance. Within our Sourcing Policy* we have defined our required standards, as they relate to animal welfare, which are applicable to all suppliers of beef, pork, lamb, poultry, liquid milk, shell-on eggs, egg ingredients and finfish, across all Mitchells & Butlers brands. These standards will apply to the supply of additional protein and dairy products, as the Policy develops.
As part of our Sourcing Policy we require all suppliers of meat and poultry products to procure material produced from livestock reared in accordance with the Five Freedoms, as developed by the Farm Animal Welfare Council, regardless of country of origin.
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by providing ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental and suffering.
As a minimum, all meat and poultry purchased by Mitchells & Butlers is from animals reared to meet the legal standards required on animal welfare, as operate in the source country.
Where appropriate and commercially viable, we work with accredited bodies, such as Red Tractor Assurance and Bord Bia, to procure meat and poultry products that meet their exacting higher welfare standards. Our global suppliers are required to comply with recognised EU and global animal welfare standards and are audited accordingly.
*The Sourcing Policy listed applies to all Mitchells & Butlers' UK operated businesses. Mitchells & Butlers ALEX sites operated in Germany are excluded, unless otherwise stated, as they have responsibility for managing their own supply chain and therefore have their own stringent sourcing policies
We're a major funder of Drinkaware. The Trust's aim is to promote responsible drinking by finding innovative ways to challenge the national drinking culture.