Shareholder Scam Calls
Shareholders are cautioned to be very wary of any unsolicited advice, offers to buy shares at a discount, sell your shares at a premium or offers of free company reports.
Mitchells & Butlers is aware that some of its shareholders have recently received unsolicited phone calls or letters from individuals or companies offering to buy or sell Mitchells & Butlers shares on very favourable terms. These communications imply a connection with Mitchells & Butlers and are often from overseas based "brokers" who are very persuasive and extremely persistent, with professional websites to support their activities.
Such communications are not endorsed by Mitchells & Butlers as the Company does not participate in such unsolicited communication programmes. The callers obtain your details from an old Company Share Register which is a publicly available document and therefore makes it relatively easy for someone to access your name and address. They then look to other sources of information, such as the various directory enquiry services to obtain your phone number.
It is the Company's experience that such "scams" are introduced by reference to one of the following:
- Offering to sell shares for either high risk or worthless investments;
- Advising that a takeover of Mitchells & Butlers is imminent;
- Offering to buy shares at a price which is much higher than the current share price. This often involves the payment of an "administration fee" or transferring shares to someone else.
If you do receive such an approach, you are encouraged to take the following steps:
- Obtain the full name of the person and organisation and make a record of any other information they give you e.g. telephone number, address, web address and report them to the FCA online at www.fca.org.uk or by calling them on 0800 111 6768*.
- If the caller persists, simply hang up.
- If you do receive telephone calls, emails or letters pertaining to your shares and you are unsure if they are legitimate, please contact our Secretariat team on 0121 498 6514.
You are advised to deal only with financial services firms that are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. Check the firm is properly authorised by the FCA before getting involved by visiting www.fca.org.uk/register. If you do deal with an unauthorised firm, you will not be eligible to receive payment under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme if anything goes wrong.
If you have received an unsolicited call about your shares and have completed and returned a "Non Disclosure Agreement" please call our Secretariat team on 0121 498 6514. You should also contact the Financial Conduct Authority via their website www.fca.org.uk or call them on 0800 111 6768*.
More detailed information on share fraud can be found on the FCA's website.
* Free from UK landlines.