Animal welfare is vitally important to Mitchells & Butlers
We are dedicated to working with suppliers who are committed to best practice in animal welfare and work with them to educate and ensure that our standards and targets are being met.
Across our businesses, we are committed to ensuring that our suppliers of meat, poultry, dairy and farmed fish products procure material produced from livestock reared in accordance with the ‘Five Freedoms’ principle developed by the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC), regardless of country of origin.
The ‘Five Freedoms’ principle
These five freedoms mean that animals in the supply chain experience:
- Freedom from hunger or thirst - by providing ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour
- Freedom from discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express normal behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering
Mitchells & Butlers are proud to be a business that sets itself high standards and who demonstrates a proactive approach to Animal Welfare.
As a condition of supply to Mitchells & Butlers our suppliers must sign up to our Technical Guide for Food Suppliers. This includes our Animal Welfare Policy which covers all species and includes specific policies for individual species.Download the full Animal Welfare Policy
We recognize that improving farm animal welfare is an ongoing process and to assist with measuring our progress, we continue to monitor the volume of raw material procured that already meets the welfare standards of accredited bodies, such as Red Tractor Assurance and Bord Bia.
On an annual basis Mitchells & Butlers purchase the following product from livestock reared to meet these specific welfare standards.
- 100% of British and Irish beef purchased for Miller & Carter is either Red Tractor or Bord Bia Quality assured
- 100% of Miller & Carter and Browns Brasserie and Bar chicken breast fillets are British Farm Assured
- 100% of British and Irish beef purchased for Browns is either Red Tractor or Bord Bia Quality assured
- 100% of fresh British chicken purchased for Harvester, Premium Country Pubs and Browns is Red Tractor Farm assured
- 100% of British turkey purchased for Toby Carvery and Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery is Red Tractor Farm Assured
- 100% of shell on eggs purchased for Mitchells & Butlers are produced from free range hens. We are working towards our cage free commitment for all ingredients by 2025
Gender Pay Gap
Find out more about how we’re creating job opportunities regardless of gender, building a culture that values differences and embraces them as strengths.
Modern Slavery Statement
More than ever, we are aware of how important our people and communities are. Find out more about what we’re doing to prioritise the well-being and safety of those working across our businesses.
Discover what we’re doing to promote a better, more sustainable planet for our people, driven by the purpose to make every moment matter.
Careers With Us
We understand that you want a career that isn’t just about ‘clocking in’. You want to have fun, feel valued, enjoy what you do and get rewarded and recognised along the way. That’s what working for us is all about and much, much more.